Open Thread

Open Thread

This is an experiment for me and like most of my experiments, it will likely end in disaster.

Discuss what you want but…

IT MUST BE ABOUT POP CULTURE, ANYTHING ELSE GETS NUKED.

When I say the thread is locked no more posting is permitted.

********************************************************

THREAD LOCKED

Transferred comment:

Skyler the Weird Edit Reply
    Dune down 62% in Second Weekend. All us fanboys have seen it once and no more. Chances of part 2 slightly dimmed.

November 1, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Not really.
      Warner Brothers had said repeatedly said that Dune would get a sequel based solely on its streaming performance on HBOmax. Admittedly, I’m taking them at their word and that is dangerous when dealing with Hollywood. However…
      Anybody who wanted to see it in the theaters did so the first week. Anybody who wanted to see it twice was better off just subbing to HBOmax.
      Given the weird way they released it, putting it in European theaters for six weeks before bringing to America and then simultaneously releasing it in theaters and on streaming, it has been guessed that Warner Brothers probably left $75 million on the table. That is a lot for a film with a production budget of $165 million.

November 1, 2021 at 12:09 pm
      • WiseSol Reply

I’ll be seeing it in a theater at my current location today. If I don’t enjoy it, I will be sending you the bill. 🙂

November 2, 2021 at 3:26 am
        • WiseSol Reply

Having seen it:
          1. Indeed worth seeing (and hearing) in conditions that do it justice.
          2. Props to Villeneuve; this is an ambitious and serious attempt.
          But…
          3. I might feel differently if I had read the book or if I saw this together with its mooted second part, but as it is, it feels somewhat lacking and left me underwhelmed.

(Rebecca Ferguson was interesting bordering on distracting. For the first 2 hours, Zendaya’s footage seemed taken from a perfume commercial. Towards the end, she proved that she is able to recite some lines.)

November 2, 2021 at 8:57 pm
    • Herman Sheeple Reply

My understanding is Dune has not done well at the box office which is a shame since it’s the kind of film we need more of imo. We need to support films that entertain instead of indoctrinate us with “woke” BS.

November 2, 2021 at 5:53 pm
  • NobodyExpects Reply

Red Dawn

Wolverines!

November 1, 2021 at 12:28 pm
    • John Sheppard Reply

1984 Wolverines for sure.

November 1, 2021 at 11:47 pm
  • Bies Podkrakowski Reply

Dune was good.

November 1, 2021 at 1:17 pm
  • Greg Reply

Dark Herald, I enjoy your blog quite a bit. I was wondering if there are any other pop culture blogs you might recommend? Thanks!

November 1, 2021 at 1:22 pm
    • Linguavert Reply

If you don’t mind videos, you might like Professor Geek on YouTube. I learned about him through The Dark Herald and have really been enjoying his content.

November 1, 2021 at 4:24 pm
  • Nagger Reply

How much business will MCU Spider-Man 3 do?
    I stopped paying Hollywood when they endorsed ANTIFA, and stopped even pirating around 2019-2020. I’m about as right wing as it gets but I will pirate this film for Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man. There must be quite a few ppl who will pirate or pay for nostalgia.

November 1, 2021 at 2:11 pm

It’ll be the most successful MCU movie of the year, and Disney/Sony will probably earn something from it – but it won’t reverse the falling trend of the franchise: wheeling out half a dozen actors from previous movies is not a viable continuous strategy.

November 1, 2021 at 4:06 pm
      • WiseSol Reply

I liked the first two movies, but this… It’s kewl, but it also seems somewhat desperate. At best, going out with a bang; at worst, jumping the shark.

November 2, 2021 at 3:31 am

of the pipe hitting Naggers, i presume?

November 3, 2021 at 7:54 pm
  • Hobart Floyt Reply

Dark Herald,

As a Arkhaven contributor, the SG community would love to see you on SocialGalactic, you should ask the Dark Lord if this gig gets you posting privileges there.

November 1, 2021 at 2:47 pm
    • Bibliotheca Servare Reply

Yeah, with blog comments gone on VP, most of the ilk are probably posting on wherever the “other place” they used to talk about is. Wish more of ’em were on SG, for sure. Then again, it’s not really the same with “clean speech” is it? No cursing, no (presumably) sugartits…damn.

All that aside, yeah, it’d be awesome if Dark Herald was on SG.

November 1, 2021 at 3:58 pm
      • MrUNIVAC Reply

Any Halo fans out there? Infinite is looking pretty good. Really hoping that a woke bait-and-switch is not in the cards. There are a few worrying signs but nothing’s really setting off my franchise-killer alarm so far.

Then again, they screwed the pooch so badly with 5, and this one’s been in development for so long, that they literally can’t afford to piss fans off with woke preaching.

November 1, 2021 at 4:05 pm
        • Michael Maier Reply

I disliked HALO 4’s campaign and really hate the MP. I barely tried 5’s MP and got so bored on the campaign that I think I’ve only completed one dang full level.

I’ve spent more time in the past year replaying HALO 1 than caring about 5. I don’t know if I’ll even buy INFINITE.

I get so sick of the constant updates for the consoles and games.

November 1, 2021 at 6:38 pm
      • John Sheppard Reply

I have Unauthorized tv subscription and a bronze subscription to SG but never got the invite in inbox

November 1, 2021 at 11:44 pm

several of the ‘Dread Ilk’ in good standing are fake and gay and spend all their time crapping on Vox.
        this is not to say that there aren’t good people people on the Dread Ilk site, ( David the Good being one of them, if you know what i mean ), but i already spend too much time online without arguing with retard faggots about why they’re so stupid Vox banned them. Dunning-Kruger can be demonstrated BY someone, but the person demonstrating it is unlikely in the extreme to comprehend Dunning-Kruger and their deeply intimate relationship with it.
        i’ve directly contradicted Vox on multiple occasions and never even been threatened with a banning. a couple of times i got told to shut up, but that was usually because i was goofing on somebody in the thread. goofing on other posters in the threads is, let’s be honest, never on topic.
        if i can do things like this for well over a decade while Vox drop kicked YOU through the goalposts? well, you can draw your own conclusions.

November 2, 2021 at 12:44 am

LOL, wut? Who’s spending all their time crapping on Vox over there?

My only problem with Vox is his blind spot for China.

November 2, 2021 at 4:06 am

don’t remember the clown names, but there were more than one. it’s been more than a year since i tagged up on the site.
          Markku and Nate and DtG were definitely not amongst them.
          trying to argue Rhetorically with people who don’t even comprehend that they are arguing on a Rhetorical basis is just a pain in the ass if i don’t have fairly good odds that they’ll get themselves banned.
          because on the internet they’ll never have to “admit” defeat, regardless of how thoroughly i thrash them. just as you’ve seen with Vox vs innumerable gammas. they’ll just claim that they have some nuance which i’m failing to observe … or better yet that they can ignore me because i’m an icky person. *shrugs*
          you’ve got to remember that in Dread Ilk terms i’m a noob ( i either missed Bane or just barely caught his last couple of posts ), so several of them are going to waste my time trying to pretend that their seniority, of itself, grants them superiority over me and renders my positions moot.
          like i said, fake and gay.

November 3, 2021 at 12:14 am
          • Snidely Whiplash

You were invited on the basis we didn’t think you were a faggot. Here you are proving us wrong yet again.

November 3, 2021 at 2:58 am
          • furor kek tonicus

aye oh, it’s Snidely. how ya doin?

November 3, 2021 at 7:56 pm
          • Codex

Try SG again.

I dropped off for a year and picked it back up and was pleasantly surprised.

It’s easy to forget how long it takes to build anything, and how mess the process can get.

November 4, 2021 at 7:44 am

This issue has come up enough that I feel I should address it.
        I reapplied and either didn’t receive or didn’t find an invite.
        So either my request has not been processed yet or I’m blackballed.
        If it’s the former, I’m a patient man, if it’s the latter, I’m not offended. If I just plain missed it then that’s on me.
        The issue is now addressed and CLOSED.
        I will answer no questions on this topic and delete further comments.

November 3, 2021 at 11:23 am

The trailer for Book of Boba Fett has just been released, so I guess it’s as good a time as any to ask you SW fans: why is Fett so popular? I can understand people liking Luke, Han or Vader, but what’s so great about a guy that looks like the poor men’s Stormtrooper, doesn’t do anything much in ESB and dies (or “dies”) like a moron in RotJ?

November 1, 2021 at 3:50 pm
    • Michael Maier Reply

He was a mystery for us STAR WARS nuts in the day. I was not yet 5 when SW came out so I spent my whole life as a fan… til Epi 3 came out. And it’s been all downhill since except MANDO. Which is just okay but that makes it awesome if you compare it to everything else SW.

But as kids, we were ravenous for SW stuff. Boba Fett was just awesome to us visually. The rocket backpack, the missile launcher, the wrist blaster, his cool blaster.

No, he didn’t do a lot. Yes, he died a STUPID death in ROTJ. I don’t think anyone liked that scene.

But then again, George Lucas is the luckiest hack in PedoWood history.

I really didn’t care for him getting beat by that Mando chick in the bar. And I don’t hold much hope for the next season of MANDO or BOOK, really.

November 1, 2021 at 6:45 pm
    • MrUNIVAC Reply

I’m a geriatric millennial Star Wars fan, so I never really understood the hype either. I thought he looked cool, and that he was one of the few people who could mouth off to Vader and not get choked, but that’s about all there is to my opinion of him.

November 1, 2021 at 9:53 pm

you have to remember that the cinema world of the 70s was *nothing* like it is today.
      Star Wars was released in 1977 and there had never been anything like it, especially SFX-wise.
      worse, there wasn’t any more Star Wars coming. there was none of this New-MCU-Movie-Every-Quarter like we have today. Lucas didn’t know he was going to make Empire until he’d made his first hundred million.
      and the Star Wars demand was completely out of this world. no one had even imagined that such a thing was possible. there are kids from the era who were documented to have watched the damn thing IN THE THEATER more than 100 times.
      i’m pretty sure i saw it more than 10 times in the theater … and my family had no money. i personally knew multiple kids who saw it over 30x.
      now understand, we weren’t getting a new Star Wars movie anytime soon. they put an Apollo rocket under the Empire production schedule and still didn’t have ESB released until 1980 and RotJ was another three years, 1983.
      so, what was a Star Wars fanboy supposed to do with himself in the meantime?
      well, there was the abortion of the Star Wars Holiday Special in 1978. how BAD was the Special? welp, it’s in a franchise that was printing money faster than the presses could be supplied with paper and they never made another one. in fact, Lucas has stated that he wishes he had a hammer so he could smash every copy in existence.
      otoh, the Special bequeathed to us Boba Fett. what did we ( and by “we” i mean all you GenX-ers who actually watched it, somehow i missed it ) know about Boba?
      1 – he looked cool
      2 – he was a bounty hunter working for the Empire
      3 – we quickly had action figures, so we could invent hours of our own head canon to fill in the Boba Fett backstory canon that we never got told
      in effect, you had two years of fanatic children getting themselves emotionally invested in a character which had almost no definition or screen time. and then we get to Empire, in which Boba is so badass that Vader has to single Fett out to give the instruction, “No disintegrations.”
      we had no way of knowing that Fett was going to get clowned by Lucas in RotJ three years later. George’s sense of humor is rivaled only by his instinct for seduction and romance.

November 2, 2021 at 1:32 am
  • Kyle Reply

What are your thoughts about console only games starting to come out on online platforms like Steam, GoG, Epic and so on? Games like the kingdom hearts Franchise on epic, metal gear on GoG, and God of War 4 on steam.

Could this be a sign that the console wars are finally coming to an end or something?

November 1, 2021 at 3:53 pm
  • Pete Reply

Some thoughts on Dune: Villaneuve really tried, and it WAS decent, but…

1) When the Atreides got to Arrakis, there was no time to breathe at all. No development of the political or local situation. The dinner scene would have been nice to have. In the books, the Atreides had weeks to settle in and start taking control of the planet. In the movie it seemed like they landed, had one day to settle in, one day to do the spice crawler rescue, and then boom.

2) The Sardaukar were supposed to be low-key, and no one was supposed to know they were ever there. The Emperor wanted this to look like a House-on-House feud ONLY. The Atreides men fought bravely and had a chance to win, except for the Baron’s innovation of using artillery to bombard the house (which was only possible because Yueh took down the shields). In the movie, the Atreides are utterly overwhelmed in an hour with absolutely no chance of resistance. So why even bring them to Arrakis or enlist the Sardaukar? If they’re this weak, just stomp them right there on Caladan.

4) Speaking of Yueh, his treachery is a HUGE DEAL in the Dune universe. The Suk doctors are mentally conditioned to be unable to harm another person, and everyone knows this. So the possibility that Yueh could turn traitor was almost unbelievable – yet this is not touched on in the movie at all. And his death was done with zero drama, virtually an afterthought. Piter also did nothing in this movie – might as well not have been there. Didn’t even let him kill Yueh.

5) The Harkonnens (and Piter) have no personality. They are all just one-note evil brutes with flat affect. I get that Bautista doesn’t have a lot of range, but Skarsgard does. In the books, the Baron is more of a jovial evil…more mocking and lighthearted. Not saying they had to follow the books exactly, but as we all know, a good villain makes for a much better story.

6) Liet Kynes’ death. I didn’t have much of an issue with the actress, but they way they killed her off was just gay. She’s supposed to be Fremen-raised and Fremen-trained, yet this guy just walk up and stabs her in the back easily? In the desert, her supposed preferred environment? We should have gotten a quick 20-second knife fight where she is attacked by two Sardaukar, kills one but then gets killed by the other one. Maybe they couldn’t train SDB to knife-fight? I get that the movie is already long, but again…could have been 20 seconds.

7) The knife fights actually seemed tame and boring to me. Not sure what’s missing but it seems like we’ve had better in other properties, like John Wick.

November 1, 2021 at 4:03 pm
  • Pete Reply

And one other thing:
    8) Why would the Harkonnens disable or steal most of the spice-mining equipment when you know you’re going to be back in charge within three days? That “plot point” was irrelevant.

November 1, 2021 at 4:07 pm
    • Bies Podkrakowski Reply

Because somebody would ask question: why they behaved so un-Harkonnish and did left good equipment behind? Suspicious. Maybe they are planning to return very soon?

November 1, 2021 at 4:29 pm
      • Pete Reply

It’s a fair point – but leaving the stuff there might also get the Duke to think “Oh, the Emperor is forcing the Harkonnens to play fair…maybe this won’t be as bad as I thought.”

November 1, 2021 at 4:57 pm
  • guinhill Reply

I recently found a dubbed version of Teddy Ruxpin for the children to watch.
    My wife likes it based on how Teddy at one point decides to save some one in need, letting the chance to get the treasure they are looking for pass by.

It’s hard to find good series and movies to watch,

But on our list are. Ronja the Robbers daughter, Ponyo on a cliff by the sea and Kiki”s delivery service.

Do you have any recommendations for young kids ( appart from not watching anny TV)

November 1, 2021 at 6:27 pm
    • Killick Reply

For young kids

For young kids: Some of the old Japanese anime series (from the 80s and 90s) are very good. They adapted classic English books into a serial format. Try Takarajima (Treasure Island); Sara, The Little Princess; and The Mischievous Twins of St Clare’s. Not too bad for children on YouTube are Peppa Pig; The Fixies; and Masha and the Bear. For bedtime stories you should try one of Enid Blyton’s short stories. She wrote so many that I have been reading one aloud every night for years.

November 2, 2021 at 12:05 am

Pop music culture is dead
    I’ve got 12 & 16 year old daughters
    Neither listens to music of note
    Eldest likes kpop a bit, but that’s it

Anyone else know/have kids who listen to new music, or not?

November 1, 2021 at 7:26 pm
    • Sanders Reply

Daughter was listening to this, they’re nice and I liked the kraftwerk homage and the humour.

November 1, 2021 at 11:25 pm
    • Seeker Reply

I would say that kids (zoomers/young millennials) come in three different varieties:
      The Corpo-kid (aka mindrot): listens to whatever the corporations/social propaganda networks say is popular. Make up the viewers on large multi-million view pop videos and rap videos. You’ll know them because most have adopted black corporate speak. Probably an avid viewer of tik-tok.
      The Eurasian: listens mostly to Korean/Japanese music, whether pop music, anime music, or amvs (animated music videos). If they are into anime they probably also like some forms of metal or the rock songs popular in amvs. The more mainstream types tend to fangirl/fanboy over idol acts.
      The Indie: listens to indie/mid-tier/older music on youtube. Seeks out their own content because they don’t like the modern mainstream. Wishes tik-tok would burn to the ground.

Older gens also have groups like the Nostalgic Listener, the Boomer, the Classicist, but there aren’t that many kids like that (those groups tend to start at Gen Y).

November 3, 2021 at 12:41 am
  • John Sheppard Reply

Will Ghostbusters Afterlife make up for the Abominable SJW Ghostbusters?

November 1, 2021 at 11:48 pm
    • Sanders Reply

I’m afraid it will not.

It might not be 100% woke as the 2016 version but it won’t be good and will contain enough wokeness and forced diversity to be noticeable and take the fun out of it.

November 2, 2021 at 12:00 am
  • WOPR Reply

Anyone watching Foundation? The new stuff with the cloned emperor isn’t bad. Otherwise they seem to have decided that even following the concepts in the books is too hard.

November 2, 2021 at 12:18 am
  • WiseSol Reply

1. I remember a positive review for the pilot of Superman & Lois. Did it proceed to the sudden but inevitable betrayal?

2. Why and where did y’all hide my Good Omens DVD?

3. I like traffic lights.

November 2, 2021 at 3:49 am
  • furor kek tonicus ( guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people ) Reply

Alec Baldwin: “She was my friend. The day I arrived in Santa Fe and started shooting, I took her dinner, with Joel the director.”
    you know who else used to take people out to dinner … and then murder them?
    Jeffrey Dahmer

November 2, 2021 at 4:45 am
  • Explico Reply

Not a single mention lately of the upcoming Wheel of Time show. Unlike Vox, I’ve learned to live with and get past the whiny Rand until he becomes Darth Rand and then Zen Rand. I thought Sanderson wrapped the series up better than the long Perrin/Faile arc and the Elayne taking the throne arc.
    Regarding them changing the races of some of the main characters, I’m re-reading from the beginning and it mentions both Nynaeve and Egwene as being darker skinned. So I’m thinking at least Hispano or mulatto. And the inhabitants of Tear are described as quite dark-skinned, so Siuan being black isn’t a huge stretch, although she should have blue eyes. Hm.
    Looking forward to the series. And disgusted that they’re going to be sliding in a lot more lesbian crap than was barely hinted at in the books. Guess I won’t be watching with my teen son after all.

November 2, 2021 at 5:42 am
  • David Reply

LA Brea… has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

November 3, 2021 at 3:38 am
    • Joe S.Walker Reply

I watched some of the first episode. It seemed like one of those low-budget SF disaster movies that run on the Horror Channel, but where they usually move along briskly and can be good in a dumb way, La Brea felt ponderous, like they were going to build up their storylines and probably a “mythology” if they last a while. I didn’t hang around.

November 3, 2021 at 4:18 pm

I still think it’s way too late to save it, but this is interesting:

November 3, 2021 at 8:32 am

Next Tweeny money grabs (maybe) Keeper of the Lost cpCities and Phoebe and her Unicorn.

Also: What’s good these days in anime?

November 4, 2021 at 7:58 am

so, it turns out that it’s a decades old open secret in Hollywood that Kirk Douglass sexually assaulted a 17 or 18 year old Natalie Wood.
    wat? a ((( Russian ))) actor rapes a Russian Orthodox girl? whodathunkit?
    also, notice the response of the Hollywood mother, pushing Natalie into these situations …

November 5, 2021 at 4:37 am
  • furor kek tonicus ( guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people ) Reply

Hollywood armorer provides examples of dummy and blank rounds and goes through normal production procedures

which pretty much track exactly with what i was speculating.
    and bestest evar girl armorer has a major problem if they found LIVE rounds in the weapons trailer, as is being reported.

November 5, 2021 at 2:28 pm