Dune : First Impressions

Dune : First Impressions

If you are Dune fan this is the one you’ve been waiting for.

It is a very grand spectacle. It’s a throwback to films that are meant to be seen on a big screen.

If you can see it on an IMAX screen, do so.

I’ll have a proper Dark Herald Recommends up soon(ish).

If you have no interest in Dune, then don’t crap up my comments going on and on about how you aren’t going to see it. Your disinterest does not make you interesting and I’ll nuke your comments.

• joe90 Reply

OK, the only question is, is it Good? can that be answered with the word “YES”?

October 22, 2021 at 1:17 pm
    • douglas Whiddon Reply

He did say he would have a “Dark Herald Recommends” up soon. So, I’d say “yes”

I watched it as soon as I got a hold of it. It is, in fact, pretty good. But, don’t expect anything unique. This is part 1, and all the cool stuff really happens in part 2.

My biggest issue is that the entire movie takes place in a series of empty rooms. These are not the sort of places people LIVE. That bugged me later. Watching the movie, everything looks cool, but you pretty much know everything that will happen. They don’t waste a lot of time explaining the world. Also, some of the scenes were too dark to see what was going on, especially towards the end.

Overall, if you like Dune, it’s pretty good.

October 22, 2021 at 2:44 pm

October 22, 2021 at 3:03 pm

This one is worthy of a cinema visit, from all the reviews thus far. Alas no Imax for me

October 22, 2021 at 2:24 pm
  • Brick Hardslab Reply

How do you make a knife fight less interesting than old ‘Supernatural’ episode in this day and age? It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t spectacular either. The Raid had better action. This was generic Hollywood nothing alien or exotic about it.

Dropping the whole mental dialogue was probably a good choice but it managed to ignore most of the interesting plot while leaving none of the characterisation from the book. If I hadn’t read the book the characters would have been glossy magazine cutouts

October 22, 2021 at 3:11 pm
  • bryce Reply

Damn, I would love to see this on Imax…but the unvaxxed get no Imax.

Maybe at 54 I’ll take up an activity I haven’t done since 1984…sneak into a cinema. I’ll reward them with an online purchase afterwards if it’s good.

October 22, 2021 at 5:12 pm
  • Malcolm Vu Reply

I loved the SciFi miniseries. They treated the material respectfully. It was just the right length and pacing for the amount of story they were trying to tell.

The casting was stellar. Especially Stilgar. Alec Newman’s “young Paul” was a little silly, but after he became Muad’dib, he was great.

When I watched it on TV twenty-one years ago, I had no idea those were just gigantic painted curtains standing in for a desert. I bought the German blu-rays (the only ones in 1080p) a few years ago and those desert shots look really bad.

I want to see this new Dune, but I’m not a streaming subscriber and I haven’t been to a theater since 2004. I’m sure a UHD will be along shortly.

October 22, 2021 at 8:50 pm