Blogs and Ends: The Hump Day Trailer Dump

Blogs and Ends: The Hump Day Trailer Dump

I tried to find trailers for three movies I want to see this year.  I could only find two.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Please don’t screw this up guys.  Pretty please with lots and lots of sugar on top?

The rumors appear to be true, and Bill Murrey will have at least a cameo.  That is a little surprising given how much he hated being in the reboot.  The leaked Sony emails show that they forced him into making that one with the threat of a lawsuit.  Possibly, he sees this movie as a way to give that movie the finger.

There was a lot of complaining on Twitter about the lack of jokes in the trailer.  I’m not sure they are trying to do a straight comedy like the original.  This feels a little bit more like a Goonies style kid adventure.

This honestly makes more sense than trying to recreate the lightening in bottle conditions that produced the first Ghostbusters movie.  You had three well-seasoned comedians at the top of their game and were used to working with each other, plus ILM ghost effects that had never been seen before, then add just a dash of zeitgeist to bring it all together.

Trying to recreate this magic would be a formula for failure. Especially given the fact the original team couldn’t manage it a mere five years later.

SECOND

Dune

The first trailer indicated a fairly strong audience interest based on the velocity of the YouTube views.  At the end of the first month, it had kind of views a major Marvel release would have had after six months.

What makes that interesting is that there shouldn’t be that much widespread interest in a trailer that was only supposed to appeal to people already familiar with Frank Herbert’s book.  Apparently, it looked different enough to generate interest.

This second trailer on the other hand has much more of a general audience feel to it.

There is some humor which was never a component of Herbert’s work that I recall.  As well as the standard accelerating action layout of a typical trailer.

One thing is for certain, I’m not going to trust a “professional” critic’s opinion on this film.  I’ll have to see it myself.

Space Jam 2

The last up isn’t a trailer at all. It’s a review for Space Jam 2, which is currently bombing in theaters.  Mostly, because it was an absolutely terrible idea.

The first Space Jam had something going for it that this one doesn’t.  A story.  Michael Jordan’s story to be exact.

Jordan was pretty much the top basketball player in the world in 1993, then his father was murdered during a carjacking.  He was thirty at the time and that is usually the age where it really hits you for the first time, the fact that it is all going to end someday no matter how hard you hit the gym. He felt compelled to take on a new challenge.  The White Sox hired him for their minor league team in the hopes that they could train him up to be majors material.  Bo Jackson, he wasn’t.  During Jordan’s single season with the Birmingham Barons, he had 18 errors in the outfield (tying him with one other guy for worst in the league), 30 steals (which is good) but was gunned down 18 times (which is bad), his batting average was .202.  He also had 51 walks and considering Jordan is 6 foot 6, that could only mean the opposing teams were deliberately fanning him to make him look good at something.  He had a triumphal return to basketball in 1995.

Space Jam set itself in the 1994 time period of Jordan’s life. The basic premise was that as a result of his game with the Looney Tunes, Jordan accepted his gifts for what they were and returned to basketball.

There is something the protagonist wants and what the protagonist needs, at the end of the story he discovers that what he needs is more important to him than what he wants.

Not a great story but it is a story.

It gave kids a reason to watch the movie.  Jordan had been a little unpopular in the early 1990s but being forced to publicly eat a very small portion of humble pie, he was much more popular when the movie came out.

Lebron James’ story on the other hand is the less inspiring, “I’m the GOAT, everyone needs to suck my dick, while I suck China’s.”

It didn’t get a release in China, which I find hilarious.

Here’s a review of the horrible Space Jam 2.

• banjo Reply

Dune looks good. It looks like they’ve made the fremen negroes, so how will that square with having a white dude as their savior in this day and age? Does this change Muad Dib, and perhaps push him aside for Chani?

July 28, 2021 at 6:06 pm

As far as I know, it’s just Chani and her…mother Dr. Kines. Kines was the studio-mandated race and gender-bend. It was either him or the entire Atreides family

July 28, 2021 at 7:05 pm

eh? was Chani the daughter of Dr Kynes in the novel?
      it would seem to enervate the whole point of Paul ‘going native’ if the chick he decides to bang is half-off world ( proxy for White European ).

July 29, 2021 at 12:28 am

Yes, Chani was Kynes daughter in the book. They bonded over both of their fathers dying in the Harkonnen attack.

July 29, 2021 at 1:10 am

Dune was written back in 1965. The trope back then was, if your hero must marry a native, it’s best if she’s of 1/2 civilized blood.

July 29, 2021 at 1:17 am
  • jorgen b Reply

HD ruined movies. In the still shot of the trailer I can see all of this doofuses poors on his face. Movies need to go back to the cameras feom the 80s and 90s or I’m not spending 1 cent on them. No, I’m not kidding.

July 28, 2021 at 6:45 pm
  • jorgen b Reply

And then in the next one, is that Zendaya? Pass.

July 28, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Dune is the first half of the book, which makes sense, although the book could easily be a trilogy.
    Unless this smashes the box office the second movie won’t be made
    Humour in the trailer smells of marketing desperation

Ghostbusters looks family friendly

July 28, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Had a rethink about misleading marketing
      If it pulls more people in with lies, good
      I want the second film made

July 29, 2021 at 4:08 pm

GHOSTBUSTERS
    “The rumors appear to be true, and Bill Murrey will have at least a cameo.”
    There are confirmed appearances for Venkman, Ray, Winston, Dana and Janine; I wonder if we’ll get a CGI!Ghost Egon as well. Also, will they pretend Dana’s not-with-Venkman baby from the second movie never happened?
    “I’m not sure they are trying to do a straight comedy like the original. This feels a little bit more like a Goonies style kid adventure.”
    We shall see; it’s worth remembering that the trailers for The Last Jedi had no dumb jokes either.
    “This honestly makes more sense than trying to recreate the lightening in bottle conditions that produced the first Ghostbusters movie.”
    True enough, although less sense than just accepting that the first movie should be left alone and trying to create something new.
    Anyway, I don’t hate this on principle, which doesn’t happen often nowadays – and hey, Egon’s grandchildren actually look like him, which is nice. Moreover, erasing Girlbusters is the most anti-woke thing Sony did in the last decade, so they at least get a point for that (unless Melissa McCarthy appears in a post-credits scene to set up a crossover).
    DUNE
    I know nothing about Dune, so I’m just here to say: Zendaya, could you at least pretend you don’t spend every waking moment hoping to die? I know you’ve been working for Disney since you were a teen, but hot damn.
    SPACE JAM
    I’ve watched a few scenes, and I have to say Lebron is not that much of a Mary Sue in this – ok, it’s all about him in the end, but at least they let him make mistakes, learn some stuff et al. Much better than, say, Captain Marvel on that regard. And they did come up with a clever solution for the lack of a Michael Jordan cameo. But yeah, it’s not a very funny movie and it’s not a pity at all that it’s bombing.

July 28, 2021 at 7:43 pm
  • Kyle Reply

The thing that i find funny about space jam 2 was that apparently pepe lepew is no longer kid friendly but pennywise the murderous clown monster who eats children is ok to put into the movie as a spectator or the game.

July 28, 2021 at 7:57 pm
    • Seeker Reply

Apparently they also have references to a Clockwork Orange in there, a film that has explicit violence and rape in it.

July 28, 2021 at 8:14 pm
    • Chris Lopes Reply

As well as Alex and his rape gang from A Clockwork Orange. Honestly, did anyone attached to this crap actually see that damn movie?!

July 28, 2021 at 9:04 pm
  • Cloudbuster Reply

Fat neckbeard angry about how bad is the crappy by-the-numbers cartoon movie aimed at kids and sportsball worshippers. That’s 2021.

July 28, 2021 at 9:08 pm
    • Dane Reply

Bet you that they voted Trump too!

Kamela is my Kween and she be slaying those Wipipo! o7

July 28, 2021 at 10:18 pm

“I pity LeMoron for getting roped into this movie.”
    wut? LeBron is worth 500 million. he doesn’t do a damn thing he doesn’t WANT too. whether or not he has an official producer credit, i guaran-goddamn-tee you that he got right of refusal on the story and story edits.

July 29, 2021 at 12:34 am
  • Blume Reply

I am actually really excited about Dune. Gurney, Duncan and Duke Leto look amazing. And the lines in the trailer from Leto is the Atriedes I want to see, the true blue good guys.

July 29, 2021 at 12:40 pm
  • MrUNIVAC Reply

Dune looks cool, but I think I’ll wait and see what my favorite YouTubers think of it before I run out to the theater. I was pleasantly surprised with Warner’s Godzilla vs. Kong, so I’m hoping they’re back in the entertainment business and out of the woke propaganda one.

July 29, 2021 at 5:20 pm
    • Chris Lopes Reply

I think I’ll wait until the second half of the book is filmed.

July 29, 2021 at 6:14 pm
  • Revelation Means Hope Reply

In the book, Jessica (Paul’s Bene Gesserit mother) is very alarmed by the prospect of her son’s genetic line merging with the wild card genetics of the half Fremen Chani, daughter of Liet-Kynes. By the way, Liet-Kynes himself is a half Fremen, if I recall correctly. His father was the original Imperial planetary science dude, and his son was an extremely rare case of being allowed to follow his father in the office.
    So she is 1/4 off-worlder in that scenario.

Considering how many 1,000’s of years the Bene Gesserit had been carefully breeding genetic lines to get to Paul’s (who was supposed to be Paulina) stage so the next generation would be the Kwisatch Haderack.

Beyond the usual SJW sticking in blacks into the storyline wherever possible, this seems less woke than it could have been. Keep in mind the Bene Gesserit were a major presence in the original series. I’m waiting for them to paint the Harkonnen as Trump supporters and white supremicists, maybe put them in KKK outfits. Barring that, look for clearly Nazi inspired uniforms. Already the trailer has Chani talking about the evil Harkonnen wiping out their people, referring to the Fremen who live in the cities. Which in the book was barely a concern of the dessert Fremen who disdained the city folk.

July 29, 2021 at 9:26 pm

You’re right about Kines. I read Brian Herbert’s pastiche of his father’s work a few years ago. I was mentally mismatching the father for the son.

July 29, 2021 at 10:30 pm
  • Blume Reply

My wife wanted a date night so we saw The Green Knight. Just don’t. It’s a terrible movie in every way. It’s obvious that everyone involved is good at their jobs but they decided to make a piss christ or in this case a shit green night.

July 31, 2021 at 12:41 pm