Yes, Virginia…

Yes, Virginia…

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, ‘If you see it in THE SUN it’s so.’
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA O’HANLON.
115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET.

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

• Chris Lopes Reply

The author isn’t talking about the North Pole living toy manufacturer of the old Coke Cola ads. He’s talking about having faith in the Christian God of love and compassion. The spirit of Christmas is what is really being questioned, and that’s what the author is defending.

December 23, 2021 at 5:01 pm
  • Brick Hardslab Reply

Thank you very much.

December 23, 2021 at 6:03 pm
  • Robert W Reply

John C Wright has an excellent short story for Christmas in his ‘Book of Feasts and Seasons’ I get it now, he borrowed the title ‘Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus’ from this genuine classic.

Historically I’ve been hostile to the whole santa mythos, even more so after ‘The Santa Claus Man’ account of how the USA Santa was such a con from birth in NYC. But I’ve been reading through Letters from Father Christmas by Tolkien this year, out loud, to the kids. They love it and it’s fun. I’m learning the Santa bits are a fractal of the larger Advent season, where the wise can derive value from the proceedings and the simple will stumble through with great joy nonetheless.

December 23, 2021 at 7:41 pm
  • Chief_Tuscaloosa Reply

Would like to share something about Christmas also, if our host doesn’t consider below off-topic. If so, apologies–your blog your rules.

“Christmas isn’t pagan by Brian Niemeier: “December 25 really is the date of Jesus’ birth.”

https://brianniemeier.com/2020/12/christmas-isnt-pagan/s isn’t pagan

December 23, 2021 at 8:13 pm

No, it’s fine. This is a Christmas in general post.

December 23, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Besides I like Brian’s stuff.

December 23, 2021 at 9:13 pm
  • Bibliotheca Servare Reply

Your link took me to “sacrificial lambs” from 2019, so I searched for the post, and this link worked. The only difference I can find is the “s” after the “/” in your link. I don’t know. Weird stuff. Great link though!

Hey, Herald, any comments on the new Witcher season? It’s Christmas, so I suspect you probably haven’t seen it yet, but we’ve started it, and I hope you’ll give us your take when/if you watch it.

December 24, 2021 at 6:13 am

Happy Christmas everyone
    Just had dinner with the family (In Finland you eat and open presents on Christmas Eve) and reading next to the fire with a glögi
    It’s been great following your blog Dark herald, and I hope you continue this adventure through next year. Cheers

December 24, 2021 at 5:04 pm
  • Chief_Tuscaloosa Reply

I neglected to include on my post: Merry Christmas and thanks to you Dark Herald! I read Vox Day and Anonymous Conservative first over coffee in the morning, but your blog on pop culture is a close third & a welcome respite from the larger (and darker) issues they cover. Look forward to each entry–even if I hate the subject matter (Disney delenda est), your writing makes it too interesting not to read. Looking forward to your book also (Dec 31st you’ll be finished, right?), and here’s hoping the protagonist is a non-com in the Orcish army. Based on your previous chapters you published, I worked for that guy in the 31st Inf.

December 24, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Thank you kindly Chief. Your words are appreciated.

December 25, 2021 at 11:50 pm
  • Kevin Reply

That post made my night. Thank you.
    Merry Christmas to all.

December 25, 2021 at 2:24 am
  • Bibliotheca Servare Reply

Oh yes, and Merry Christmas! Buon Natale!

December 25, 2021 at 7:41 am
  • Linguavert Reply

Merry Christmas, Dark Herald!

December 25, 2021 at 12:11 pm