The Dark Herald Recommends Free Guy

The Dark Herald Recommends Free Guy

I thought this movie was going to be one overly long played-out joke that was completely spoiled in the trailer.

And for the first five minutes, I was right.

Then it turned into something a lot better.  I’m as surprised as anyone.

Free Guy is a Ryan Reynolds movie, starring Ryan Reynolds as Ryan Reynolds. But you already knew that from the movie poster. He only has one character but he seems to know it and plays that part well.

Guy is an NPC in a computer game called Free City, it’s a Grand Theft Auto style MMO RPG.  The NPCs go about their daily circuit of events and get robbed, or shot, or whatever by the player characters.  Guy works in a bank so he gets robbed more than usual.

You can tell the Players from the NPCs in Free City because they all wear sunglasses.  One day Guy meets a girl who knocks him out of his rut.  He is in cyber-love and wants to track her down and get to know her.  He steals sunglasses from a PC and all of sudden can see his world like the players do.

He finally has a conversation with his would-be girlfriend who tells him he needs to level up.  Which he proceeds to do but rather than be his world’s biggest criminal, becomes its only hero, foiling the criminal activity of the players.

This turns him into a viral sensation in the real world.  His would-be girlfriend turns into his real girlfriend which is slightly problematic because she is a human and she thinks he is too.  She and her partner Steve from Stranger Things originally wrote Free City to be a place where people just watched Ais interacting, (is this like the Sims?  I’ve never played the Sims and never will).  However, their dick boss Taika Waititi stole Free City and turned it into a shooter.

Guy is proof that Taika stole their code because he is the penultimate end state of it.

Girlfriend eventually convinces Guy that he is living in the Matrix (except this was so much better than Matrix Resurrections).  And that she needs his help to save his world because Free City 2 launches in a few days and it’s not backward compatible, the current Free City goes offline for good.

I was surprised by the fact that this movie wasn’t constantly preaching at me, (oh, there were a couple of SJW jokes that landed like a water balloon but it was tolerable). Guy’s development as a character was impressive, and I ended up rooting for him to win, which in the end is all I want from any movie let alone one from Current Year.

This was a Ryan Reynolds comedy that pushed it as far as one of his comedies can go.  At the end there was a great little actor’s scene between Girlfriend and Steve from Stranger Things, nothing spoken at all, they just let gesture and expression do all the heavy lifting.

And I loved DUDE who stole the third act of the show.

It’s not a great movie but it’s certainly a good enough movie.

The Dark Herald Recommends with Confidence.

I’ve been wanting to see this since I first saw the trailer, but I held off. Now I’m definitely seeing it ASAP.

January 5, 2022 at 11:14 pm
  • Leatherwing Reply

We were hesitant, but took a shot a while back. Like you, we were pleasantly surprised. Not a great movie, but a fun one. I expected lots of preaching and found that aspect mostly lacking.

Another one that we watched around the same time was Boss Level. It looked like a low budget action movie, but turned out to be much better than our expectations. Not great, but fun enough that I’ve watched it a couple more times. (Cool side note – the primary actor and the actor playing the kid are real-life father and son)

January 6, 2022 at 1:08 am
  • Dave from Boston Reply

“Don’t have a great movie, have a good movie!”

I just rewatched this and it’s still pretty good. The Wokeism was pretty minimal and some of the characters were pretty funny.

I got the impression the Free Life game would be kinda like Second Life; definitely not for me but lots of people like it.

January 6, 2022 at 1:56 am
  • furor kek tonicus ( i demand that Joe Biden disavow his treasonous endorsement of "Let's go Brandon" ) Reply

for me, the problem with this ( and many other movies ) is the habit Taika Waititi has of forcing in a bit part for Taika Waititi into all of the movies that Taika Waititi directs.
    in an industry populated almost entirely by pathological Narcissists, this guy stands out.

January 6, 2022 at 2:37 am

It was directed by Shawn Levy.

January 6, 2022 at 3:10 am

Although, you are correct in general. Hollywood is run on status and an actor-writer-director has huge status in Tinsel Town.

January 6, 2022 at 10:43 am

it.
      just.
      NEVER.
      ends.
      Born Taika David Cohen
      whilst his mother, Robin Cohen,[10] is a schoolteacher.[11][12] Waititi stated that his mother’s family were Russian Jews “mixed with a bit of Irish” and other European ancestry, while his father’s side was “Māori and a little bit of French Canadian”.[13] Waititi describes himself as a “Polynesian Jew”

you want to suckceed in Hollywood? simple.
      rape children, smoke poles and, most importantly of all, be Tribal.
      oh god, he’s ALSO doing a 10th Star Wars film and a live action version of Akira.
      i just can’t WAIT to see what bit part he creates for himself in those.

January 6, 2022 at 2:49 pm
      • Robert W Reply

In a small way we’ve already seen Cohen’s self insert into star wars, he’s the assassin/bounty hunter droid in Mandalorian season 1, and he directed the final episode of the season, with the ultimate hero of the episode being himself sacrificing himself in the lava flow.

January 6, 2022 at 4:28 pm
  • Max Barrage Reply

saw it this past weekend. Ok, but it was about 20 minutes too long.

January 10, 2022 at 4:48 pm