Open Thread 12/11/21

Open Thread 12/11/21

WTF-man.jpg

Discuss whatever you like but it must be related to pop culture.

All other comments will be deleted.

The SPAM problem is now under control again. All praise and blessings upon the name Markku.

December 11, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Are the European language crime thrillers (Netflix) popular in North America.
      They do very well this side of the pond
      Currently watching the Forrest in French

Quite good (and challenging the pedo problem that plagues France and Belgium)

December 11, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Sorry
        Not a reply to darkie

December 11, 2021 at 3:23 pm

How much do you want to bet that Sony is going to at least propose a Ghostbusters prequel in the near future?
    “Learn how Peter, Ray and Egon met while they were college students! Learn how they started studying the paranormal! Did you know that they almost met Winston as teenagers? Dan Aykroyd cameos as Ray’s grandfather!”
    And if you think that idea is too dumb even for Hollywood standards, just consider that there are people currently working on a Rocky Balboa prequel.

December 11, 2021 at 2:55 pm
  • WOPR Reply

I watched Love and Monsters. For a YA film, it isn’t bad. The poz is limited and some of the stuff is about as anti-poz as you can expect in today’s entertainment. So, it’s not brilliant, but is entertaining.

December 11, 2021 at 5:52 pm

See you, Space Cowboy. That’s what you get for wokifying one of the great shows.

December 11, 2021 at 6:09 pm
  • MrUNIVAC Reply

I’m five hours into Halo Infinite, and so far it’s a glorious return to form. It’s basically like they took the second level of the original game and blew it out into its own giant open-world game with proper story missions dotting the landscape. ODST did that too, but the “open world” was pretty linear and was limited to hunting for audio logs in between the levels. Here there’s all kinds of fun stuff to do.

There is a story and it’s thankfully NOT insanely stupid like Halo 5, but you could totally ignore it and still have a great time. It’s a complete turnaround from old 343 which required you to be read up on every single expanded universe project to have any idea what the hell is going on. You as the player make your own story, which is something that all the great video games do.

Best part of all: the woke BS that permeated the last game is nowhere to be found.

December 11, 2021 at 10:19 pm
    • Robert W Reply

This is great news. Is it similar gameplay speed or did they speed it up to catch up to the Fortnite chickens with no heads speed?

December 12, 2021 at 12:39 pm
      • MrUNIVAC Reply

Nope, it still very much feels like Halo. I think the Chief is a little faster and more mobile due to infinite sprint and additions like the grappleshot, but it’s not SO different that it feels like I’m playing Unreal Tournament now. Multiplayer Halo feels about the same as it always did, although I admittedly haven’t played much of it since 3.

December 13, 2021 at 1:43 pm
  • Skyler the Weird Reply

Watched the most recent episode of The Wheel of Time and we finally have a biracial lesbian couple to go with biracial gay male couple and the biracial straight couple. I know the two are called pillow sisters somewhere in the Optus but still.

I wonder do Trannies who touch the one power get gentled by the Red Aja or are the Aes Sedai afraid of the woke mob threatening Rowling and Cis gender Ivy League swimmers complaining about men in dresses not being women.

December 11, 2021 at 11:23 pm
  • Pete Reply

I think I see something starting to change for the Woke properties. They are failing more quickly and more decisively. A lot of people are waking up to the bullshit. Black Widow and Shang Chi didn’t do all that well. I’ll be amazed if Loki season 2 ever gets released. Santa Inc. augured into the ground immediately upon release.

Wheel of Time has supposedly been renewed for a second season, but that’s all it will ever get. Cowboy Bebop just got shoah’d. Y the Last Man got cancelled before its first season even ended! How long can this go on? I mean sure, these shows are run by people who are perfectly happy to lose millions as long as they get to piss off “the chuds,” i.e. normal people. But do the people writing the checks see it the same way?

The pink-haired activists writing these shows have blamed Covid for a while now, plus they could tell their bosses it was just a few “white supremacists” doing “review bombings.” But those excuses have to be wearing thin as the failures keep piling up.

December 12, 2021 at 4:08 am
  • Robert W Reply

Andy Wire: King of the Gamma Kings or a storyteller of the highest order?

I’m halfway through the audible version of his Hail Mary book. It’s an outstanding first contact novel with well defined everything. It’s suffering bad from a main character. Anyone else reading this book? Does the ‘gamma self protection insert’ model fit this story, or is it just a case of the author writing what he thinks people want based on his replication of other protagonists on other stories being gamma inserts?

Regardless it is thoughtful and enjoyable and I recommend with enthusiasm (to borrow a phase)

December 12, 2021 at 12:44 pm
    • Dave near Boston Reply

They do somewhat explain why the main character is acting the way he does later in the book. Granted, I wanted to punch him more than once before I got to that part.

It wasn’t *great* but it was pretty darn good. There was one “That’s totally stupid” moment near the end to generate some danger but, overall, it was a good read/listen.

December 15, 2021 at 2:48 am
      • Robert W Reply

“Granted, I wanted to punch him more than once before I got to that part.”

Man you got that right! I’m looking forward to the retcon explanation, if it works as well as Dr Bashir in ds9 then much is forgiven.

December 16, 2021 at 5:49 pm
        • Dave near Boston Reply

> I’m looking forward to the retcon explanation, if it works as well as Dr Bashir in ds9 then much is forgiven.

It explained a bunch of stuff about how he acts. I’ll be curious if it works for you so feel free to post when you’re done with the book.

December 17, 2021 at 3:19 am
  • Brick Hardslab Reply

Watched the third season of Stranger Things with my grandson. It felt like it took its inspiration from Gurlbusters. The newsroom scenes were weird parodies of imaginary fifties offices. Every single female character had a gurlpower epiphany and moment of sticking to the patriarchy. The plot, characters, themes were all phoned in. The only interesting character was Billy and the only interesting relationship was between Jim and El.

I’m hoping next season is watchable. I’m thoroughly tired of the homo stuff and cartoon plot.

December 12, 2021 at 7:39 pm