Obligatory Oscar Post

Obligatory Oscar Post

The most boring night on television hit an all-time low of 9 million viewers.  In truth, I’m surprised it was that many.  I suspect it’s mostly very old liberals who are still watching it.  The Joe Bidens still left in America are the Oscars’ primary audience.  The 18–49-year-old market has collapsed completely, dropping by 64%.  Which will knee-cap the ad money that ABC can charge for this abortion next year.  BTW they are stuck with the Oscars until 2028. Another win for Disney!

While I haven’t watched the Oscars in decades, I was usually aware when they were taking place.  There was some interest to be had in looking at the Red-Carpet parade and wondering who wore human skin this year, (I’ve heard stories). This year I was only reminded that they had taken place because they were such a ratings disaster.

I just realized I was in process of rewriting something I’d already written on this subject.  It’s that inspiring!

I know my younger readers will find this hard to believe but when I was a kid Oscar night was a really big deal. The three networks fought over which one of them was going to have the right to a guaranteed rating win that night. Because everyone in the country would be watching the Academy Awards and not All in the Family or Charlie’s Angels or whatever top-rated show was going up against it that night.

It was the one night of the year you got to see every single movie star on TV.  Every. Single. One.  We still bought into the glamour of Oscar Night.  You have to remember that back then we had a much different movie culture than we do now.  Going to the movies was a once-a-week thing for a lot of people.  Maybe more than once a week if you were single.  A movie ticket was cheap back then. Certainly cheaper than going to a nice restaurant.  Sure, the popcorn was a little pricey but it was nowhere near the car payment that it is today.

You also didn’t have to hate all of the actors and actresses.  Of course, there were plenty of America-hating Communists picking up awards but on Oscar Night you would also see plenty of flag-wavers that hated Commies.

As I said, we had a different movie-going culture.  Almost everyone had seen the nominees for Best Picture.  There were drinking fountain discussions and barroom bellowing matches over which flick deserved to take home that little statue.

I know it’s hard to believe now but there was actually a bit of cultural reverence for the Oscar.  It really did stand for something that everyone believed to be excellence.  Even if it did miss the mark by a country mile now and then.  The most famous Oscar snub was Citizen Kane but there have been plenty of others.  High Noon, The Caine Mutiny, The Lion in Winter.

The Oscars were absolutely NEVER perfect.

But they were a strong reflection of our collective tastes.

Yeah, those days are over.

I didn’t see any of the nominees this year and I’m hardly alone there.  Most of these are movies that I hadn’t even heard of until the nominations were announced.

The biggest surprise of the night was that Chadwick Boseman didn’t win.  Apparently, there is considerable outrage from people who pretend they care about it.  In truth, I was expecting him to win myself, mostly because he died.  That usually is enough to get the Oscar.

Although, from what I heard Sir Anthony Hopkins actually deserved to win, which I admit is kind of a shock.  Not that Tony can act but that he was rewarded for his performance.  This is the old Hollywood tradition of snubbing an actor who deserves the Oscar for years then rewarding him out of the blue.  And now that he’s in his eighties, they gave him the statue before they have to give him a posthumous win, just like they didn’t do for Chadwick Boseman.

Also, Hopkins didn’t show up for the awards.

• WOPR Reply

Also, what kid didn’t watch just for a chance to catch some clip of his favorite film of the year? You knew it was going to be a couple of years before it showed up on TV.

April 27, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Star Wars, anyone?

May 5, 2021 at 9:21 pm
  • Kyle Reply

Im calling it. The next academy awards will feature a category for the movie that is the most inclusive and the viewership will be at 7 million.

April 27, 2021 at 11:06 pm
    • doug whiddon Reply

Hollywood isn’t that subtle. They have passed new rules that even to be included movies will have to be 50% diverse across the board. By next year I’ll bet a bunch of new awards are added, Most diverse actor/actress and so on.

April 28, 2021 at 12:19 am
  • doug whiddon Reply

I think I’ve seen the complete broadcast maybe twice in my life. Most people who watch do so because pedowood puts out a bunch of stuff and at least 1 or 2 films you saw and give a damn about were included. Usually I just look up the winners list the next day. This year, nothing came out we even heard of. They should have just cancelled and allowed films made in 2020 to be included in the next cycle.

April 28, 2021 at 12:22 am
  • Cloudbuster Reply

“Also, Hopkins didn’t show up for the awards.”

Well, that speaks well of him at least.

Compare to Howling Frances McDormand.

April 28, 2021 at 12:26 am
  • Jack Amok Reply

Yeah, I remember Oscar parties where people would get all dressed up and gather at someone’s house or apartment to watch, eat and drink. It was like a Super Bowl party with fancier clothes.

Now? Eh. I didn’t see any of the movies nominated, and I don’t even know what was nominated. I know I didn’t see them because I didn’t see any first run movies this year. Or last. I’d probably only recognize the names of half the actors and actresses nominated.

For fun, I just asked my teenage daughter “What are the Oscars?”

She furrowed her brow and said tentatively “A band?”

April 28, 2021 at 4:03 am
  • Sanders Reply

I don’t remember when it was the last time I cared about a movie being awarded not just the Oscars but any other award too.

I remember when I was a kid I used to keenly check the award to the best soundtrack, and which flick had the best special effects, also used check the chicks on the red carpet in movie magazines of the time, it used to be big in the press.

It could be like 7 or 8 years that I lost any interest in anything that surrounds the Oscars or remotely has any relationship with it.

It is not that I hate it or Hollywood (I despise them to a degree I think) it is that it just sort of became completely irrelevant, almost background noise.

April 28, 2021 at 6:25 pm
  • Chief_Tuscaloosa Reply

Best Picture going to Shakespeare in Love and not Saving Private Ryan…well, giving two shits about the Oscars after that year don’t make no kinda sense.

April 28, 2021 at 9:59 pm

D-Day was fantastic in SPR.
      every other element of that movie was retarded dogshit. starting with the idea that the “search for Ryan” was anything other than a cakewalk for what should be a front line infantry unit compared to what every other dog soldier was having to suffer through

AS DEMONSTRATED IN THE MOVIE WITH THE SUICIDE STAND TO HOLD THE BRIDGE AT THE END.

May 1, 2021 at 1:13 am