The Dark Herald Recommends Sandman

The Dark Herald Recommends Sandman

This one is going to be brief

Audible recently produced Neil Gaiman’s Sandman as an audio play.

In a nutshell, it’s the comic book in audio form. Basically a one for one of the first series of comic books commonly called Preludes and Nocturnes.

If you enjoyed the comic book then you’ll enjoy this. If you didn’t, then there is nothing here for you.

The performances are professional. The music and sound are up to Audible’s usual standard.

The problem with it is what it’s always been. Gaiman has a gift for prose and he can do a decent set up but the payoffs are invariably unsatisfying. When I first read them in the 1990s I had assumed the problem was with me. That I just wasn’t sophisticated enough to appreciate the depth of the story.

A quarter of a century later, I am now one hundred percent certain the problem is with the stories. Sandman is pretension masquerading as high art. It was also goth fiction.

I am however one thousand percent certain I’ll like this w-a-a-a-y-y more than Netflix version of Sandman due out next year.

From Bounding into Comics:

He said when “doing the Netflix TV series, we’re very much looking at that as going, ‘Okay, it is 2020, let’s say that I was doing Sandman starting in 2020, what would we do?”

The writer added he is considering changing character genders. “How would we change things? What gender would this character be? Who would this person be? What would be happening?’” he said.

Back to the audio play. If you liked the comics and have an Audible credit it will be reasonably entertaining.

The Dark Herald Recommends with Reservations.

“Johanna Constantine”

They freaking gender-swapped John Constantine? I already had no plans to watch this abomination, but now I’m convinced I was right to think that.

dumpsterfire.jpg

July 23, 2021 at 12:52 am
    • douglas Whiddon Reply

Johanna Constantine is John Constantine’s great-great-(something)-grandmother. She shows up twice in the Sandman comics. If they’re including her then they are probably going to the the “Hobb Gadling” story, which is one of the most popular ones.

July 23, 2021 at 10:07 pm
  • Taignobias Reply

“Johanna Constantine”

Hard pass, Netflix. Matt Ryan is practically perfect as John Constantine, and he’s been heavily underutilized, as it is.

In fact, I’m going to rewatch the Justice League Dark animated movies right now. Maybe reread some Swamp Thing and Hellblazer to get this taste out of my mouth.

July 23, 2021 at 1:46 am

There was a Johanna Constantine in the orginal comic book. She was alive during the French Revolution and was clearly meant to be an ancestress of John Constantine. John was also in Sandman, but they would have an instant rights issue in trying to use him. Whereas there is none in using Johanna, since she has never appeared anywhere but Sandman. But I strongly suspect they will indeed bump her into the modern age.

July 23, 2021 at 12:35 pm

“Matt Ryan is practically perfect as John Constantine, and he’s been heavily underutilized, as it is.”
      Underutilized? He has had a starring role in Legends of Tomorrow for three seasons now (plus a recurring role in the season before that); admittedly, that’s a CW show, so you could argue death is the far better option, but “underutilized” is not the word I would use.

July 23, 2021 at 3:31 pm
      • ElRojo Reply

Matt Ryan’s portrayal of Constantine in Legends of tomorrow lasted a whole 2 or 3 episodes after he was moved to a starring role before they turned him homo.

Why?

Because CW, that’s why.

July 23, 2021 at 4:59 pm
  • Joe S.Walker Reply

Played by the awful Jenna Coleman. They’ll have to explain why somebody from the French Revolution keeps lapsing into a Blackpool accent.

July 23, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Hey! She can talk really fast! Isn’t that what acting is all about?
      (Seriously, I remember some interview where Moffat states that one of the reasons he casted her was that she could talk as fast as Matt Smith.)

July 23, 2021 at 3:26 pm
  • Albert Reply

Sandman? I remember dropping it because I noticed anyone who wasn’t drawn looking like a strung-out heroin addict would always turn out to be an awful person.

This was a long time before ‘SJWs always lie, project, and double-down’, but the stench of bullshit had become unavoidable before halfway through.

July 23, 2021 at 4:46 pm
  • Riverwalk Reply

“Okay, it is 2020, let’s say that I was doing Sandman starting in 2020, what would we do?”
    Shockingly brave and honest of him to so readily admit unprompted that he, like the vast majority of creative types, actually doesn’t care for or like working with the Progressivist’s Favorite Pet Demographics, let alone want to make them the prominent cast in his stories, and is only doing so now because checking off quotas for the political interest groups is the only way anyone can get major studio work anymore in Current Year.

July 23, 2021 at 10:05 pm
    • Talos Valcoran Reply

“Rule ‘It’s Current Year’ has been invoked”

Into the trash it goes.

July 25, 2021 at 3:48 pm
  • douglas Whiddon Reply

I enjoyed the Audible production. But Its way more than just Preludes and Nocturns. It’s at least half the total series. The show is going to suck.

July 23, 2021 at 10:09 pm
  • DFCtomm Reply

It will be an inferior product. It’s a comic book and the art is half the content, and that can’t be represented via audio.

July 23, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Gaiman is gay as all get out. he might outgay Freddie Mercury’s AIDS.
    you can watch the television adaptation of American Gods for verification … they’ve Wokefied the hell out of that … on which Gayman is listed as the 3rd Executive Producer.

July 24, 2021 at 5:30 am
  • Dane Reply

I do not support people that have been telling me how much they loathe me for the latest decade.

July 24, 2021 at 8:20 pm