Top 5 DC Characters For Arkhaven To License!

Top 5 DC Characters For Arkhaven To License!

If DC does shut its doors and start licensing out characters, Arkhaven has a real opportunity as one of the only major competitors out there to potentially license some of these classic characters.  There’s a lot of great ones to choose from, but I’ll give a top 5 and try my hardest not just to list characters created by Steve Ditko, as tempting as it would be to do a Watchmen with Charlton heroes only not a cynical parody, actually being true to the characters and their morals.

Spoiler – A lot of people would probably pick Bane by The Legend Chuck Dixon first, but Spoiler’s always been one of my favorite characters. With a tragic background, she hung around Robin and was told multiple times to buzz off, but she came back to fight for good regardless of everyone telling her no. She was a major inspiration for Meta-Girl in Flying Sparks and it’d be great to be able to produce comics with this character.

Hawkman – One of DC’s only openly conservative characters, he gets portrayed as cartoonish more often than not. But there’s cool science fiction background to the character too which leaves a lot of room to explore.

Kamandi -an oft forgotten and underutilized character, this is a creation of Jack Kirby’s which really redefined jungle comics into something unique and cool. Kamandi might be a sleeper where people wouldn’t usually put him on their lists for bidding, which makes him perfect for Arkhaven to mold into something awesome.

Plastic Man – Plastic man in the original days used to be a very innovative character with strange adventures. This character gives writers an opportunity to really stretch creative muscles and make cool, unique stories.

The Question – One of the most unique superheroes out there, The Question is the precursor to Mr. A, Steve Ditko’s major objectivist creation.  Only Arkhaven would be able to do this character justice, with philosophical writers who understand The Question’s morals.

Arkhaven of course has a lot of its own wonderful characters, but it is fun to posit what could be, isn’t it?

• Leahn Novash Reply

I second The Question. By far one of my favorite characters, entirely forgotten and often misrepresented.

February 17, 2021 at 8:51 pm
  • Zeedub85 Reply

I’m glad you chose Spoiler. I had gotten very invested in her character arc. From Spoiler to Robin to Batgirl. Then it was all thrown away for the New 52, along with everything else I cared about. I’d been a DC fanboy for years, but pretty much dropped it all at that time.

February 18, 2021 at 4:47 am
    • Jon Del Arroz Reply

Yessss! one more spoiler fan! There are dozens of us!

February 18, 2021 at 4:48 am
  • Bonesaw Reply

Hi Jon, wouldn’t it be better for Arkhaven to buy one of the imprints D.C. owns?
    Could you do an article looking at the various options out there and listing which would be the most iconic series Arkhaven could then reprint, which they could continue, and which characters they could revive?

I’d enjoy seeing that.

February 18, 2021 at 5:06 am
  • Nova Centum Reply

When Arkhaven gets rights to DC characters, I call dibs on Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Suicide Squad. Not as a writer, but as an editor. Although I’ll write any of them that no one wants. Heck, I’d be cool with Captain Atom or Shade the Changing Man.

Seriously, though, Arkhaven could do so much with these characters that have been mistreated for decades.

February 18, 2021 at 5:37 am
  • Silent Draco Reply

Nice choices. Plastic Man had some quirky and fun tales. Kamandi might make an excellent blending of worlds, like Tarzan and the Phantom, with maybe a touch of Thundarr the Barbarian for SF-style stories.

OK, Spoiler was telegraphed – a pretty, tragic female character looking for true love and romance? Where have I seen her before besides Meta-Girl? 🙂 You’d have way too much fun writing those comics, but I’d enjoy the books.

February 18, 2021 at 11:58 am
  • James Reply

Big Spoiler fan here w her run in the original Robin. Makes sense why I enjoyed it so much never realized Chuck Dixon wrote it.

February 18, 2021 at 5:27 pm
  • Marielle Redclaw Reply

I was introduced to The Question via the animated Justice League shows. Great character. He and the Huntress were the best super couple.

An now we’re in 2021, where The Question was right about everything. 😕

February 21, 2021 at 5:15 pm

i thought Milligan did a pretty good job with Shade, although i am completely unfamiliar with the original character.

February 22, 2021 at 2:48 am