Star Wars: The Bad Batch – Trailer Reaction

Star Wars: The Bad Batch – Trailer Reaction

Well it looks better than the Resistance cartoon they did a while back. I can give it that much.

This looks a lot more like Dave Filoni’s comfort zone. I suspect that the reason that Filioni was wedded to Favreau for the Mandalorian was so that he could job-shadow the Iron Man director. After all there is only so much time Jon Favreau will be willing to spend on a TV show. As much as he loves Star Wars, it can NOT pay as well as the backend of a film that scored a billion dollars at the box office.

The purpose of this apprenticeship was probably to teach Dave how to produce live-action. I’ve got my doubts about how good of a manager Filoni ever can be because he is obviously a gamma male.

However, that’s neither here nor there. As I said, this is something Filoni is more at home with. Basically, it’s a dirty dozen style with a five-man band Nakama.

We’ll see if Kathleen Kennedy has done her usual devastating development inserts.

Honestly, I just can’t get excited about Star Wars anymore.

• Leonardo Urriani Reply

Wow. Five main characters, and not a single one of them is female: when did it last happen? They’ll obviously meet Strong Female Characters along the way, but still, it’s strange that they didn’t go with “The premise of this show is “imperfect clones”, so let’s say one of those clones turned out a woman because SCIENCE!”

March 30, 2021 at 10:59 pm
  • Blume Reply

I don’t trust Filoni at all. I feel he was mainly responsible for turning Mando into the spin off snooze fest. Season 2 was full of Filoni characters and Season 2 wasn’t good it just wasn’t bad.

March 30, 2021 at 11:02 pm

i watched Joker this weekend … and i’m more than a bit surprised at how popular it was with all of the Alt-Reviewers and the Fandom Menace.
    Marx promulgated “kill the rich” as a political statement in 1848. and this fetish obviously predates the birth of Marx as it was amply demonstrated in the French Revolution.
    the first people shown abusing Arthur are a gang of hispanic kids … and he does nothing to them. only White people are punished, often for the mere crime of not paying enough attention to Arthur.
    Randall gives Arthur a gun to protect himself … so Arthur murders Randall for trying to help him? it wasn’t Randall’s fault that Arthur was so stupid that he dropped the gun in front of a roomful of children.
    Arthur tells the dwarf that he’s the only one who didn’t mistreat Arthur … so Arthur mistreats the dwarf every chance he gets?
    the only people Arthur is shown killing are White. IF the last ( Black ) therapist is murdered, it happens off screen, ie – never shown. more likely, the closing scene bears all of the in-narrative hallmarks of one of Arthur’s delusions ( disjoint narrative from what has gone before, absurd success on Arthur’s part, failure to close the scene in any explicable way ) and probably never happened at all.
    the only people shown “helping” Arthur are Blacks and most of them are women.
    Arthur is shown to actually be cognizant of what is really happening ( ie – his awareness that Murray invited him on the show to beclown him, his awareness that he needed to sneak into Sophie’s apartment, etc ) but that he CHOOSES delusion.
    and all of this is offset, nay, made “good” because Arthur has had a rather difficult life?
    i wouldn’t call it a poorly made film, but it’s redolent with anti-White, anti-Male and anti-Capitalist agenda. the WSWS, of course, considers it insufficiently Left.

March 31, 2021 at 1:47 am

You are correct furor in that the film appeared all the anti’s as stated. (Interestingly no anti Christian message though)

For me that was not the message. I related to the Joker who felt not of his world, its madness and evil. I was close to taking a different path in life many years ago. The disdain I felt for people nearly pushed me into a life of crime. Fortunately I chose otherwise.

Also the clown world meme was shown in full in the film within which Phoenix acted superbly.

I don’t disagree your points, but I almost feel as if it were done to get the film made rather than being the primary message

A film I saw recently, which upset me was the second trainspoting film. The first was quite influential on me as a young man in Scotland. The second was a gamma fantasy of putting the woman on the pedestal.

March 31, 2021 at 9:42 am

Wazdaka Reply
        I related to the Joker who felt not of his world, its madness and evil.

that’s the issue;
        Joker *IS* evil and Joker *IS* mad. it’s not that Joker is rebelling against or apart from madness and evil, it’s that Joker is infuriated that his madness and evil is paid back TO HIM.
        Joker :
        repeatedly attacks the harmless and inoffensive dwarf, merely because he’s weaker and smaller than Joker.
        murders Murray for the “crime” of getting a crowd to laugh at Joker … when Joker’s life goal has been to get a crowd to laugh at himself.
        Randall attempts to help Joker protect himself ( we can debate the wisdom of giving a gun to a mental defective ) and gets violently murdered for his trouble.
        while Penny is the source of many of the troubles in Joker’s life, is murdering her an acceptable consequence of her crimes and delusions? or is it evil and madness?
        etc
        Joker rails against the conditions and ills of modern urban life

and creates and revels in the clown movement which amplifies and maximizes the intolerant and unempathic elements of society about which he has supposedly been complaining.

March 31, 2021 at 1:41 pm
  • Bonesaw Reply

Star Wars died years ago.
    Nothing they produce is of any interest to me – unless Geode gets his own, much demanded, spin off tv series, movie trilogy, comics, and books.

March 31, 2021 at 3:46 am
  • Ty Ping Reply

After reading the article (and viewing the trailer), I was immediately reminded of the “Troops” parody a few years back… Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonnna do?!

March 31, 2021 at 6:41 pm
  • WiseSol Reply

Furor:

I suspect that one reason Joker was so popular with “our” side is that it somehow (unexpectedly?) became so unpopular with the other side.

This raises the question of why it set off the local SJW, who are generally purveyors of “I’m depraved on account I’m deprived.”

One theory, distilled, is that the movie seems to hit all of the SJW notes, but at the end (or all along), you realize that by buying into that, you’ve identified with one of the most psychopathic villains in the DC Universe (or alternately, with a completely delusional lunatic.)

April 1, 2021 at 2:03 am

Video game cut-scene level art dirction. Eh.

April 6, 2021 at 8:04 am