Shang-Chi Trailer Drop

Shang-Chi Trailer Drop

Here you are. The long awaited trailer.

I still don’t have an answer to the question, who the fuck is Shang Chi?

Look I do know a little something about comics. I’ve bought a couple in my life. I had actually run into obscure characters like Defensor and Bouncing Boy. I have not the slightest idea who Shang-Chi is. I could feign knowledge by googling him but I refuse.

This is one more of Disney’s attempts to get their hands on the Chinese and virtue signal at the same time.

China. Will. Not. Care.

The only reason Chinese audiences go to American movies at all is American movie stars. If there is no American movie star, there will be no Chinese audience.

It might sell in the US (maybe) but it won’t sell in China.

• Raymond Solar Reply

Character introduced in the early 70s to catch the “martial arts” wave in film. Son of Fu Manchu and on the outs with daddy-o after supposedly offing Dr Petrie, meeting Nayland Smith, and then getting the low-down on pop’s dirty dealings. Sort of hung around for a few years then faded away. No doubt revived several times after the 90s when I gave up on comics. Paul Gulacy had this as one of his first hits as an artist at Marvel.

April 19, 2021 at 7:37 pm
  • Raymond Solar Reply

Not certain that Chinese audiences will be that enthralled by Sax Rohmer’s early 20th Century ideas on Chinese Culture.

April 19, 2021 at 7:43 pm

1)It’s amazing how non-threatening that guy is: finally someone I could buy being beaten up by Ruby Rose’s Batwoman.
    2)If you think this is a bad trailer – and it is – remember that Eternals is just around the corner.
    3)”It might sell in the US (maybe) but it won’t sell in China.”
    Question: what do Chinese audiences want to see in movies, generally?

April 19, 2021 at 8:35 pm
    • doug whiddon Reply

“what do Chinese audiences want to see in movies, generally?”

My best guess? Something different, somethin exotic. Example. “Crazy Rich Asians” was a BOMB in China. It had nothing new or unique of interesting to offer the Chinese audience. It was full of the usual Chinese story tropes and had nothing for China. It was a huge hit in the US because it was like nothing we ever saw.

That being said, American movies are foreign films in China. 9 of the top ten Chinese movies are CHINESE movies. (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China) Avengers: endgame is #6 and the only US movie in the top 10.

China doesn’t really want US movies. Even US movies with Chinese characters. Mulan was also a flop.

April 20, 2021 at 10:41 pm
  • Rev Reply

saddest thing is Shanghai chi gets this treatment, and Iron fist got that sloppy boring Netflix show with now enough budget for even 5 scenes where his fist lights up. a whole show a about a guy with an energy fist and for half of it he has chi-fist ED…

April 19, 2021 at 9:03 pm
  • Eli Reply

Yawn. Wake me when Rebel’s Run finally becomes a thing.

April 19, 2021 at 9:27 pm

on the plus side, the Asian woman driving skills aren’t at risk of breaking Suspension of Disbelief.

April 20, 2021 at 12:29 am
  • Brick Hardslab Reply

Kung-fu faded before you’d really remember the craze. For a while, it was bigger than anything.

Shang-Chi was Bruce Lee but more mystical. Hell the crap in comics is no more fantastic than the rumors about Bruce. Shang Chi fought Dracula if I remember correctly.

Maybe I remember him because I was a dojo rat or because he was the first guy I could draw.

April 20, 2021 at 1:44 am
  • Joe S.Walker Reply

The Kung Fu craze gave the world this classic, at least…

April 20, 2021 at 7:52 am
  • doug whiddon Reply

I will say That I had heard of Shang-chi before this. Not that I ever read any of the comics.

April 20, 2021 at 10:43 pm
  • DFCtomm Reply

I think Shang-Chi was a Marvel rip off of Bruce Lee. I saw one issue once where he karate chopped a shark, and that’s all I remember about it. The cover showing him karate chop the shark.

April 20, 2021 at 11:04 pm
  • DFCtomm Reply April 20, 2021 at 11:07 pm
  • Patrick McNally Reply

The classical Shang-Chi comics were quite interesting, but it’s silly to think of them as something meant to appeal to Chinese audiences. Shang-Chi was portrayed as a man who had been raised by his father Fu Manchu in ways which pooled the wool over his. Having broken away from his father after discovering bad stuff, he joins with British secret services. But slowly he becomes aware that they too pull the wool over his eyes in certain ways. The drama then revolves around this process of him insisting on fighting his evil father while looking over his back at what big government is doing.

It was an interesting series. But I don’t see any reason why Chinese would be specifically drawn to it. They might even scoff at his initial naivete both about his father and governments in general.

April 21, 2021 at 2:05 am

Eh. If the BIPOC cover allows for a chop-socky wire-fu adventure with no Grrrrrrl Power! I’m in.

Pirated, free library copy 3 years after its release or similar of course.

Don’t give money to those who hate you .

April 21, 2021 at 10:30 am

Film’s director: “We are not looking to contribute anymore to the Asian stereotypes that we have seen both in cinema and pop culture”

First trailer: protagonist’s father is already disappointed in him

April 21, 2021 at 4:37 pm
  • Bryce Reply

My biggest problem with the show is the idea that you can ride the 1 California through Chinatown and have room to actually fall out a window…let alone have a martial arts fight.

April 21, 2021 at 4:52 pm
  • Bryce Reply

@Dave W. …and the plucky Asian female driver creating a giant traffic pileup.

April 21, 2021 at 4:54 pm
  • Doc Reply

Yeah, no one cares.

Furthermore, no one can be made to care.

Insignificant character brought to screen to kiss China’s ass?

Serves no purpose in their “cinematic” universe.

If Falcon America and Winter Soldier are any indication, Marvel is in big trouble.

April 30, 2021 at 1:28 am