Trailer Reactions: The Whatever, The WTF and The What is it?

Trailer Reactions: The Whatever, The WTF and The What is it?

The Dark Herald is always happy to jump on internet trends that are twelve years out of date.

So here is a quick reaction post on recent trailers.

FIRST: The Whatever

Falcon and the Winter Solider.

Could this be anymore eighties buddy cop movie?

There are a lot of people pretending to be all excited by this one.  I think I’ve already made it clear that I’m not one of them and I liked eighties buddy-cop movies.  It’s just a lot of the usual blowy-uppy.  There is no compelling relationship between the two men.  The only thing they have in common is that they are both Not-Steve Rogers.  I assume the plot is that they are coming to grips with the fact that they have to fill in for Captain America and neither one can do it on his own.

Look for a cameo by Chris Evans in old man make-up, who provides the epiphany needed to bring Falcon and the Winter Solider together as a team so that they can both run off and be Captain America together… For a company that absolutely hates America.

It looks to be about as interesting as Captain Marvel.  Competent but ultimately, why bother? The only interesting thing about Captain Marvel was the behind-the-scenes decision making.

Brie Larson got $5 million to play that part, which is exceptionally odd.

She is absolutely not worth that kind of money. And none of the Marvel headliners got paid that kind of money for a first movie.  You can give a pass to Robert Downey Jr’s first paycheck because in 2008, Marvel Studios was a rinky-dink outfit and RDJ was desperate for work.  But Marvel was owned by Disney when Captain America and Thor first came out, and Evans and Hemsworth were pretty much working for scale with a respectable back-end payoff.   The big money came for all three men in the later movies. That is how Marvel Studios likes to do business.

Sure, Larsen had an Oscar but you damn well don’t pay anybody five million for that.  I suspect they hired her knowing she wouldn’t be a long-term investment so they had to pay her big early on to keep her from bitching when they kill off Carol Danvers.  Which I am willing to bet, will be in the next movie.  Look for Diverse Woman of Color, Monica Rambeau to be the new Captain Marvel by the end of Captain Marvel 2.

NEXT: The WTF

The Snyder Cut.

Justice League was the last big movie that Joss Whedon will ever helm, so I feel I should be grateful to it for that if nothing else.

Fat Little Joe had been forced to go back to the world TV with the Nevers after having been the biggest wheel in superhero movies.  And then he lost that job too after Ray Fisher started yelling from the rooftops.

Whedon’s reshoots made things worse. Bruce Wayne looked fine and on-point in some scenes but in others he looked like he had developed a drinking problem. Ben Affleck was going through a bad divorce when the reshoots started, he was puffy, out of shape and probably was going to bed drunk each night.

Being a good feminist Whedon felt he could put the Amazons in skimpy leather bikinis with full feminist approval.

This approval was withheld. They were pissed at him for it.

And then there was this:

Justice League had clearly and obviously been written off by the studio. Its budget was undoubtedly slashed to the bone. Apparently, someone from the studio had said to the CGI department, “No! Stop what you’re doing.  Whatever you’ve got now, just render it out.  We don’t care anymore!” And, the special effects suffered hideously for it.

I’ve made it clear that I’m not a fan of Zach Snyder but I do get where his fans are coming from and I hope they enjoy what he delivers unto them.  I’ll give it this much; Justice League was an unfinished movie when it was released. The studio took away the story its creator was trying to tell and replaced it with pablum. So, part of me is glad that Snyder is getting this chance.

Although, he’s still going to screw up Superman.

LAST: The What is It?

A Glitch in the Matrix.

1960s science fiction writer and psychedelics enthusiast, Phillip K. Dick was the first guy to postulate the possibility that this is all a computer simulation, and we are stuck in it without our knowledge.  That things like dreams, ghosts and ‘damn it, I know my keys were there a second ago,’ are all just clipping bugs that the admins haven’t taken care of yet but will be smoothed out in the next update patch.

Of these three films, this is the only one that looks potentially interesting.

• Raymond Solar Reply

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    Subtitle: “No, I was his favorite sidekick!”

Joss Whedon will be stepping into his “magical girl hentai” phase next. Coming to Newsstands, this Summer!

February 15, 2021 at 2:59 pm
  • Donald Wheeler Reply

Wow – that last one looks extremely interesting; where did you find out about it?

February 15, 2021 at 5:08 pm
  • Jake Reply

I am a Zach Snyder fan and I have been looking forward to it since I first heard of the #releasethesnydercut. Whatever you think of Snyder the fans are the ones who really made that happen. I know someone who was really involved with it and they went all out, raise a bunch of money for suicide awareness and to get the word out. The Snyder cut is a success story for anyone who doesn’t want big corporate execs tramping over entertainment.

The falcon winter soldier however is not something that I think anyone really wants. I have a feeling it will flop and they will blame it on racism. It’s a win-win for SJWs

February 15, 2021 at 7:43 pm

“There are a lot of people pretending to be all excited by this one.”
    The subtitle for most of the MCU right now.

“I suspect they hired her knowing she wouldn’t be a long-term investment so they had to pay her big early on to keep her from bitching when they kill off Carol Danvers. Which I am willing to bet, will be in the next movie. Look for Diverse Woman of Color, Monica Rambeau to be the new Captain Marvel by the end of Captain Marvel 2.”
    Uh. Never really thought about it before, but now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. So I guess the real question is: will Carol get the sendoff she deserves? Will she get falsely convicted by the Nova Corps? Will Monica thrice deny that she knows her? Will she die while possessing the full power to save herself, but electing not to use it because she just loves us so much?

“Justice League was already a film in trouble when Snyder, “left the project for personal reasons.””
    I know that sentence is usually an euphemism for something else, but this time around it seems to fit – Snyder left the project after his daughter committed suicide; do you know something I don’t?

February 15, 2021 at 8:02 pm

Warner Brothers was going to fire him anyway. Or rather they would part company over “artistic differences.” His daughter’s suicide was put forward as the face-saving excuse. But make no mistake, Snyder was OUT.

February 15, 2021 at 10:28 pm
  • DFCtomm Reply

Imagine for a moment that you live in a world of the spirit. What would be innovative and ground breaking for you? To feel the sun on your face.

February 15, 2021 at 11:02 pm
  • Bonesaw Reply

The winter soldier show already looks tired and trite. Even in just that little advert it was obvious the white guy was the butt of every joke, and the black stud was the hyper cool one who flies by the seat of his pants (literally and figuratively) and gets the job done while looking cool.

I really enjoyed the marvel movies at first. I remember seeing the first avengers movie at the cinema and feeling that I was watching a suitable version of the characters I’d read for much of my life on screen for the first time.
    Now I only keep up with what’s going to be released so I can point and laugh.

For a moment i was nervous the 3rd movie was going to be a new Matrix film. But it looks rather interesting.

February 16, 2021 at 1:17 am
  • Dane Reply

Stop giving money to those that hate you, easy concept but the gamma “males” do not seem to grasp it..

February 16, 2021 at 2:33 pm
    • Seeker Reply

Aren’t most gamma males in league with the leftist ideological trends though? They revel in abusing and being abused, so they aren’t going to change until society is such that they have to conform to keep their prized social status. The people that need such a message are the Omegas (for whom pop culture is a substitute for actually living) and nostalgic gen Y/gen X Deltas who don’t bother/care to know about what’s going on. As sales are showing, they’re already losing those groups anyways.

February 17, 2021 at 1:42 am
  • Stephen Matthews Reply

I’m not sure Dick’s ideas were all that original.
    Frederik Pohl’s short story “The Tunnel Under the World” (1955) is consistent with simulation theory, despite the nature of the simulation in that story not being a computer program.
    There are probably examples which predate that.

February 16, 2021 at 7:00 pm